In the 1890s, Middaugh planted 11 miles of trees along the proposed streets and built a substantial residence at the south west corner of Norfolk and Chicago Avenue. Completed in 1893, after over 3 years of construction, the residence included: 8,800 square feet of space on three floors, 20 rooms, four fireplaces, many stained glass windows, a third floor ball room and a three-story tower. The Middaugh Mansion was one of the important and prominent residences of Eastern DuPage County and one of only 23 sites in DuPage County named to the National Register of Historic Places. Though the Mansion was demolished in 2002, extensive documentation of the structure was completed and much of the interior detail has been preserved for incorporation into Heritage Hall.
Read more Clarendon Hills History!